5181 SW 27th Terrace
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33312
Home • About Us • Schedule • Bird List • Reviews • Fees • Contact Us
Outstanding Adventures • Everglades Fest • Florida Adventures • Costa Rica • Panama • Virginia • Jamaica
Fall 2015 Newsletter
with Paddy Cunningham
Click for detailed PDF brochure of
tours that target species or destinations.
AT ITS BEST
"It was great to see another professional put the art of birding together so well." —
Pete Dunn - Cape May Bird Observatory
"You treated us like Royalty and your energy and passion sparkled throughout our weekend." —
Valerie Brauer - Audubon of the Everglades, Field Trip Coordinator
"You learn the I.D"
"Intense Birding at a Relaxed Pace."
"You were a big hit with the attendees of the South Regional American Birding Association Conference. We couldn't of done it without you."
— Chip, Assistant Coordinator of Events and Conferences A.B.A.
"How does she do that? (find the birds) She has been doing it all day."
Everglades Bird Festival birder
EVERGLADES BIRDING FESTIVAL
January 14-18, 2016
In 2016, Become One with the River of Grass.
Journey through southern Florida searching for an array of beautiful and rare birds in ancient moss-covered Cypress Swamps, Everglades prairies that join the sky, and brilliant beaches that sparkle with flashes of roseate wings. Scan across the tips of sawgrass searching the horizon for hovering Snail Kites, transverse over alligator ponds and hear the squeal of the elusive Limpkin. Watch and listen and see.
Imagine a place of peaceful relationship with nature, where the intense excitement of finding new birds merges with a serene sense of shared joy with fellow birders.
Increase your skills and knowledge base where expert instructors facilitate your participation in the birding experience and you learn the i.d.
Gain a deeper connection with the environment, becoming a Bird Seeker who joins the peaceful flow of the river of grass.
SNAIL KITE * LIMPKIN * WOOD STORK * PAINTEDBUNTING * ROSEATE SPOONBILL * SHORT-TAILED HAWK * PURPLE GALINULE * COMMON MYNA * CRESTED CARACARA * PARROTS * BURROWING OWL * RED-WHISKERED BULBUL * PRAIRIE WARBLERS * EGYPTIAN GOOSE*
2016 EXPERTS GUIDES: PADDY CUNNINGHAM, RANGEL DIAZ, JIM EAGER, DAVID SIMPSON, KEVAN & LINDA SUNDERLAND, KEYNOTE: JAMES CURRIE
Birding Adventures take birders throughout Florida specializing in the Everglades, Corkscrew, STA 5 and the Keys. Special Getaway weekends include Merrit Island, Sanibel Island and Dry Tortugas. Annual trips to the Eastern Shore of Virginia and the tropics - such as Costa Rica, Panama & Dominican Republic.
- 200 plus species in Florida per year
- Gain Life Birds
- Find Rare Birds
- Patient Instruction
- Expert Guiding
- Meet New Friends
- Visit Beautiful Natural Areas
- Learn New Skills
- Improve your ability to identify and locate birds
- Sept. 1 - MEETING — Audubon of the Everglades-Birding by Season-Right Bird, Right Place, Right Time Pine Jog Nature Center, 7 pm
- Sept. 7 - BIRD DAY FESTIVAL — Flamingo Gardens-South Florida, A Birders Paradise and Aviary Walk in the gardens
- Sept. 20 - BIRD CLASS — Hawks Galore, Bonnet House, 2-5 p.m. Call 954-563-5393
- Oct. 2-4 — WINGS & WILDFLOWERS NATURE FESTIVAL – Leesburg/Mt. Dora, Speaker-Breakfast with the Birds, Bird Behavior and Birding by Season
- Oct. 10 - Race 4 Birds-Young Birders & Mentors Birding Competition
- Oct. 11 - BIRD CLASS — Ascend to Better Birding-Flamingo Gardens, 2-5 p.m. Call 954-473-2955.
- Oct. 17 & 18 - WEEKEND ADVENTURE TRIP — Florida Keys Hawk Watch and Raptors Galore. — DETAILS
- Nov. 1 - BIRD CLASS — Bird Behavior-A Key to Better I.D.-Flamingo Gardens-2-5 p.m. Call 954-473-2955
- Nov. 8-BIRD CLASS — Ascend to Better Birding-Bonnet House-2-5 p.m., Call 954-563-5393
- Nov. 21 - FIELD TRIP — Plantation Preserve Wetland, Plantation co-sponsored TAS-8 am-11:30 am
- Nov. 22 - BIRD CLASS — Birding by Season-Right Bird, Right Place, Right Time, Flamingo Gardens, 2-5 p.m. Call 954-473-2955.
- Dec. 5 - FIELD TRIP — STA 5-Stormwater Treatment Area 5 & Snake Road Prairies-7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Dec. 12 - FIELD TRIP — Indian River Exploration and Shorebirds with Audubon of the Everglades.
- DEC. 19 - CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT
- Jan. 10 - BIRD CLASS — Birding by Season, Right Bird, Right Place, Right Time, Bonnet House, 2-5 p.m. Call 954-563-5393
- Jan. 14-18 - SPECIAL EVENT - EVERGLADES BIRDING FESTIVAL
- Jan. 14 – Plantation Preserve Photo Workshop, Plantation Preserve field trip sponsored by SFAS, Broward Hot Spots field trip
OPENING RECEPTION - James Currie, Long Key Nature Center, 7 pm
- Jan. 15 – Corkscrew Swamp & Snake Road Prairies field trip, Palm Beach Wetlands field trip, South Dade Wetlands & Hot Spots, Evening program-Ecology of the Everglades - Kevan & Linda Sunderland
- Jan. 16 – Stormwater Treatment Area 5 & Snake Road Prairies, Miami Exotics & Hot Spots, Evening Program-Bird Behavior-A Key to Better I.D.
- Jan. 17 – Everglades National Park
- Jan. 18 – Upper Keys Natural History Tour
- Feb. 5-7 - BIRDS OF A FEATHER FEST — Palm Coast, Fl. Speaker & Field Trip Leader
- Feb. 13-15 - Big "O" Birding Festival — Speaker & Field Trip Leader, Labelle, Fl.
March 6 - BIRD CLASS — Birding by Ear & Habitat - Bonnet House, 2-5 p.m. Call 954-563-5393
- April 3-What Plant is it? — An Easy Guide to Identifying Native Plants, Bonnet House, 2-5 pm. Call 954-563-5393
- April 23-24 - WEEKEND ADVENTURE TRIP — Ft. De Soto Park, Celery Fields, Cecil Webb/Babcock WMA
- APRIL 30 - FIELD TRIP — Birch State Park & Evergreen Cemetery, co-sponsored by SFAS & TAS
- May 1 - Gardening for Butterflies and Birds — Bonnet House, 2-5 p.m., Call 954-563-5393
- June 19-23 TROPICAL ADVENTURE - JAMAICA — Blue Mountains, Port Antonio hot spots. — DETAILS
*INTENSE FIELD TRIPS
OUR LAST TRIPS
SORRY BUT YOU ALREADY MISSED ... But, we'll be doing most of them again!
2015JAN. 15-19 EVERGLADES BIRDING FESTIVAL
Sept. 1-MEETING-Audubon of the Everglades-Birding by Season-Right Bird, Right Place, Right Time Pine Jog Nature Center, 7 pm
Sept. 7-BIRD DAY FESTIVAL-Flamingo Gardens-South Florida, A Birders Paradise and Aviary Walk in the gardens
Sept. 20-BIRD CLASS- Hawks Galore, Bonnet House, 2-5 p.m. Call 954-563-5393
2013EVERGLADES BIRDING FESTIVAL. LaQuinta Inn,Plantation, JAN 17-21
Feb. 3, Birding Class, Bonnet House
FLORIDA PANHANDLE-ST. MARKS, WAKULA SPRING & more, FEB 16-18
March 3-Bird Class Bonnet House
March 14-16-BIG O Birding Festival, Clewiston, Florida
COSTA RICA-Monteverde, Rincon de la Vieja, Tenorio, MARCH 24-30
April 20-Earth Day, Birch State Park
May 4-Spring Migration, Birch S.P.
September 2 - Flamingo Gardens Bird Day - Labor Day
September 3 - Audubon of the Everglades Meeting - Pine Jog Environmental Center, West Palm Beach, 7 p.m.
September 15 & 29 - Flamingo Gardens Birding Classes - 2-5 p.m.
9/15 - Ascend to Better Birding
9/29 - Bird Behavior
October 5 & 6 - Wings & Wildflowers Festival - Lake County, Florida, Sat & Sat 10 a.m.
October 13 - Fairchild Tropical Gardens Bird Festival - Bird Behavior, A Key to Better Identification
October 19 & 20 - Florida Keys Hawk Watch Adventure
November 2 - Bonnet House - Ascend to Better Birding . Call (954) 563-5393 for reservations.
November 9-11 - Central Florida Adventure - Merrit Island, Viera Ponds, Three Lakes WMA
November 23 - Plantation Preserve
Audubon Christmas Bird Count
Ascend to Better Birding II -- 2-5 p.m.-Bonnet House
JANUARY 28 & 29
Space Coast Birding Festival - Birding by Ear & Habitat
Central Fl. Getaway - Merrit Island N.W.R., Viera Ponds, Three Lakes WMA & more
Birding Workshop, Audubon of the Everglades, Pine Jog Env. Center
Gardening for Butterflies and Birds, Bonnet House 9 am-12 noon
Big "O" Birding Festival - Port Labelle Inn, S.T.A. 5, Slough trip, Warbler workshop, Advanced Birdin
West Coast Getaway - Sanibel Island, Six mile Cypress, Ft. Meyers Beach, Cecil Webb WMA
April 10 - Spring Migration - Deerfield Island & Gumbo Limbo Hammock
April 29 - May 1 - DRY TORTUGAS & FLORIDA KEYS-SPRING MIGRATION GETAWAY, Ft. Zachary Taylor SP, Big Pine Key NWR, North Key Largo, Dry Tortugas day trip
May 7 - Mother’s Day-Ladies Lets Go Birding
2014January 16-20 - Everglades Birding Festival - La Quinta Inn, Plantation
February 2 - Bonnet House - Bird Behavior
March 1 - Bonnet House - Bird and Butterfly Gardening
March 2 - South Dade Wetlands Day Trip - Sponsored by Audubon of the Everglades.
March 9-12 - Big O Birding Festival - La Belle, Florida
March 23-28 - Tropical Birding Adventure - Visit Tropical Paradise
April 26-27 - Ft. De Soto - Spring Migration Adventure
May 3 - Birch State Park & Evergreen Cemetery
JUNE 13-17 - JAMAICA Adventure
JULY 30-AUG.9 - COLUMBIA - Western & Central Andes
Sept. 14, 21 & Oct. 19 Flamingo Gardens Bird Classes, 2-5 p.m.
Oct. 10-11 FLORIDA KEYS HAWK WATCH & Ft. Zach Taylor – DETAILS
Nov. 2 Bird Class Bonnet House
NOV. 8 & 9 MERRIT ISLAND NWR
2012 Aug. 19-Ascend to Better Birding, Secret Woods
Aug. 18 or 25, Duda Farms,Shorebirds
Sept. 3-Bird Day-Flamingo Gardens
Sept. 23 Hawks Galore, Flamingo Gd.
EASTERN SHORE OF VA. KIPTOPEKE HAWK & BIRD WATCH, SEPT. 26-30
Oct 5 & 6-South Florida Birding Festival, Fairchild Gardens, Miami
FLORIDA KEYS HAWK GETAWAY - Ft. ZACKARY TAYLOR, OCT. 20-21
OCT. 28-OWLS, Flamingo Gardens
Nov. 3-Ascend to Better Birding, Bonnet House
CENTRAL FLORIDA-MINWR, 3 LAKES VIERA PONDS & more, NOV. 10-12
Dec. 2-Wading Birds & Waterfowl FG
Dec. 8-Plantation Preserve- 8 a.m.
2010August 28 DUDA FARMS SHOREBIRDS & MORE
October 3, Adult Birding Class-Sawgrass Nat. Center
OCTOBER-16-17-HAWK WATCH WEEKEND GETAWAY-Grassy Key State Park-Card Sound Road, Key Largo Botanical Ft. Zachary SP
10/29-Owl Prowl Night & 11/13-Ascend to Better Birding, Bonnet House
NOVEMBER 19-21, 2010-MERRIT ISLAND CENTRAL FLORIDA WEEKEND GETAWAY
Up to 100 species plus, Merrit Island NWR, Viera Ponds, 3 Lakes WMA,
BIRDING ADVENTURES with PADDY CUNNINGHAM
Where “YOU Learn the I.D.”
Registered & hosted by Peak Performance Co.
Updated September 29, 2015